- Put mutton or lamb, onions, Shemin’s Indian Curry Paste, tomatoes and 150ml water in a heavy based saucepan. Cook for about 25 minutes on a fairly high heat, stirring frequently until you have a thick sauce, making sure it doesn’t burn.
- Add oil or ghee and cook for 10 minutes, again stirring frequently.
- Add the chana dal and garam masala to the meat prepared above. Add 600ml water to this, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the dal and meat are fully cooked. Add a splash more water if the sauce gets too dry.
- Add and mix fresh cream or yoghurt, and lemon or lime juice. Sprinkle with chopped coriander or mint.
- If using chicken add 500ml water (as opposed to the 600ml) in step 3 as chicken takes less time to cook. You can always add more water if you need to.
- Serve with naan bread and boiled rice.
A dhansak style curry with split-lentils and lamb which is fabulously fragrant, rich and satisfying. Went down a treat with rice, naan and a glass of red wine. You will really love this dish!