- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat, then add the onion and garlic until browned and softened.
- Add the bell pepper, spinach, harissa and fresh chilli, then cook for another few minutes until fragrant and softened.
- Add the tomatoes and mix to combine (if the tomatoes taste a bit sharp, you can add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to take away some of the acidity).
- Let it cook, covered, for 15 minutes until the mixture has reduced down slightly.
- Make small divots in the sauce for the eggs, and carefully crack the eggs into them. Cook until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Top with basil / parsley and feta, and serve with an optional slice of multigrain bread.
It’s fun to say, fun to make and fun to eat!
The word shakshuka comes from Arabic, meaning ‘all mixed up’.
Shakshuka features poached eggs in a hearty, spiced tomato and pepper sauce. It’s made from simple, healthy ingredients, is vegetarian and is delicious!