- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cook the spinach and fenugreek leaves in the boiling water until wilted, about 3 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a food processor. Puree until finely chopped, about 5 pulses.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Fry the paneer cubes until browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add Shemin’s Curry Paste and a splash of water, let this cook for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the tin tomatoes and Shemin’s Garam Masala. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the tomato breaks down.
- Add the chopped spinach/fenugreek and the paneer cubes to the mixture. Season to taste. Add 100ml of water, put the lid on and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the double cream and add lime juice to taste.
This dish is often accompanied by Indian naan bread or chapati, and is delicious served with Dhal. See our recipe for Tarka Dahl here.
TIP: If you’re vegan, substitute the paneer cheese for tofu or par-boiled potatoes to make Saag Aloo. At Step 4, cook until the potatoes are done and on Step 5 use coconut milk if you want a creamy curry.