1. Preheat the oven to the highest temperature.
2. Rub or brush the skin of the aubergine with a little oil and place it in the oven on a baking tray until the skin is soft and blackened – about 20-30 minutes.
3. Transfer the aubergine to a chopping board and peel the skin off. Chop the aubergine into small cubes and set aside. Discard the skin.
4. Heat the rest of the oil in a karahi or frying pan and when visibly hot, toss in the cumin and mustard seeds. Temper until the mustard seeds begin to pop about 15-20 seconds.
5. Add the diced onions then cook for about 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
6. Add Shemin’s Indian Curry Paste mixed with water and cook for another minute or so. Then add the diced tomatoes and cook until softened.
7. Add the cubed aubergine and cooked potatoes, and mix well. Add a splash of water if the curry looks too dry. Put a lid on and cook for a few minutes until the potatoes and aubergine are soft.
8. Stir in the lemon juice and sprinkle with chopped coriander and chaat masala.
A fantastic aubergine and potato balti that’s packed with flavour and simple to make.
🔥 Fire up the hobs! 🔥