- Cut the fish fillets into slices, about the size of a typical fish finger.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the beer, flour, cornflour, salt and Shemin’s Smoky Mexican Spice Blend. The batter should be thick like pancake batter, but if it appears lumpy or overly thick, add more beer until the mixture is thin enough for dipping.
- Pour the panko breadcrumbs into another bowl. Have an empty plate handy for the breaded fish. Dip each piece of fish into the batter. When you pull the fish out of the batter, let the excess batter run back into the bowl. After dipping in the batter, gently roll each piece in panko breadcrumbs to coat. Use one hand for wet dipping and the other for dry, otherwise you’ll end up with lots of clumps in the dry coating ingredients. Place the breaded fish on the empty plate.
- When your fish is breaded, heat 1/2 inch of oil in a pan over medium high. Fry the breaded fish pieces in batches, it should bubble and sizzle evenly. Flip the fish when they turn golden brown. It will take 2-3 minutes per side for the fish to become golden and crisp. Place the fried fish pieces on a paper towel to drain.
- While the fish fries, mix together your sauce ingredients in a bowl.
When all the fish pieces are fried, assemble your tacos. Heat the corn tortillas in a pan or in the oven until they become warm. Place a piece of fried fish in each taco. Top with shredded cabbage, tomato, avocado, and your sauce. Serve warm with fresh lime wedges.
TIP: You can use any topping for your tacos such as salsa, jalapenos, hot sauce – whatever takes your fancy!