- Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. Place the cashews on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 12-14 minutes until light golden brown, then set aside. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick casserole or deep lidded frying pan. Season the beef and brown in batches over a high heat, adding a further 1 tablespoon oil as necessary. Set aside in a bowl as each batch is browned.
- Reduce the heat to medium and fry the onion in a further tablespoon of oil for 5-7 minutes until softened and golden brown. Add Shemin’s Massaman Curry Paste with a splash of water and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- Add the coconut milk, stock, cinnamon stick, sugar, fish sauce and bring to a simmer. Return the beef to the pan, cover and cook for 2 ½ hours in the oven.
- Halve the potatoes and add to the curry after 2½ hours. Add some water if the sauce looks too dry. Return it to the oven for a further 45 minutes until both the beef and the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, blitz the toasted cashews in a small food processor until finely ground. Stir into the curry and check the seasoning.
- To serve, toast and roughly chop the 50g cashews. Scatter them over the curry with the chilli and coriander. Serve with rice and Shemin’s Indian Breads.
This classic massaman curry has a divine rich coconut sauce and slow cooked beef that falls apart at a mere touch. What an absolute treat!