- Combine the ginger, garlic and oil in a bowl, then rub all over the fish to coat. Cover and chill for 15 minutes to marinate.
- For the green chutney, place all the ingredients in a small food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- For the chickpea batter, combine the chickpea flour, cornflour and turmeric in a bowl. Season to taste then whisk in sparkling water until smooth (batter should be the consistency of thin cream).
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or large pan with sunflower oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough).
- Coat fish in the batter, then carefully add to the hot oil. Fry, turning halfway, for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle fish with Shemin’s Chaat Masala and Shemin’s Chilli & Garlic Salt and serve immediately with lemon and chutney.
This dish is perfect with our Cajun Wedges
Up your fish and chips game with this gourmet Indian version of an English classic!